From: Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Transferring an existing install to new disk
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 07:59:12
1 On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I should know how to do this but so many changes have happened
3 > recently and I haven't done anything like this for a very long time.
4 >
5 > My desktop version of gentoo is pretty far out of date. And I think
6 > there have been enough changes that I don't even want to try to get it
7 > cleaned up.
8 >
9 > Rather, I'd like to build up a newly installed gentoo to the point
10 > where it has all the stuff I want. But do it inside a vmware virtual
11 > machine.
12 >
13 > I'm trying to keep my working desktop in place until such time as the
14 > vmware gentoo setup is ready
15 >
16 > Once that install is up to speed with all my preferred apps in place.
17 > And any kinks worked out...
18 > Only then use it to overwrite my desktop OS. Or reformat that disk
19 > and move the vmware gentoo version to it.
20 >
21 > The vmware gentoo would be guest on a windows XP pro machine.
22 >
23 > I'd like to hear any comments concerning what problems I might run
24 > into or whether the plan is likely to be a serious mess.
25 >
26 > Also wouldn't mind seeing a rough outline of how to make that kind of
27 > move.
28
29 I've thought about this myself, but I think there are some issues. The
30 hardware that vmware can simulate are limited and may not match your
31 actual hardware. This does not mean it's impossible, but you may need
32 to set network, graphics ,etc up again once the system is transferred.
33
34 Guess the steps will be pretty much the same as for transferring
35 between partitions or similar machines
36 - make sure all the required modules for the target system is compiled
37 in the kernel.
38 - Update /etc/fstab to point to the correct devices.
39 - Update the grub.conf to pass the correct root. (btw, does anyone use
40 anything other than grub these days?)
41 - Use tar (with appropriate flags to keep permissions and symlinks in
42 place) to transfer all the files
43 - Install the bootloader on the target MBR
44
45 I may have missed a few things, but that's everything I currently remember.
46
47 Regards
48 Dirk