From: Javier Krausbeck <gentoo@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Real time video streaming (was: Help playing simultaneously splitted videos (sort of))
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 23:27:22
1 On Sunday 13 May 2007, YoYo Siska wrote:
2
3 > > I've been asked something strange. I have to take a video input and split
4 > > it in three parts, sending it to three outputs simultaneously.
5
6 > > The first thing I thought of was creating a pipe, sending there the video
7 > > and trying to read from there. I did my firsts tests with mplayer, but as
8 > > soon as I launched the second instance of the video output, the mplayer
9 > > which was feeding the pipe exited.
10
11 > > Does any of you have any good idea to accomplish this in a simple and
12 > > elegant way?
13
14 > just expanding your idea with pipes:
15
16 > mkfifo f1
17 > mkfifo f2
18 > mkfifo f3
19 > mplayer whatever_options_you_want_and_make_it_write_to_stdout | tee f1
20
21 > | tee f2 >f3
22
23 > and then reading from f1, f2, f3 doesn't do the thing you want ?
24
25 Just one caveat, mplayer does not do output to stdout, you only have the
26 option of using yuv4mpeg as video out, which means a pipe. I tried catting
27 this first pipe to multiple ones, but as I guessed, it didn't work.
28
29 Anyway, the more I think about it, the less I like it. Let's say it it's not
30 elegant at all. Much less nice. I think the best way would be streaming the
31 video and do various reads of it, showing different parts of the video on
32 each of the clients.
33
34 So far I only know of vlc. Is there any other software which can do streaming
35 of video only (I don't need sound) to multiple clients (on the same machine)?
36
37 Besides, I don't need it to travel multiple routers or anything like that.
38 My only constraint is that it has to be real time, all the clients need to
39 synchronized.
43 Javier Krausbeck <javier@×××××××××.org>
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list