From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Wiping the old root without killing the new root
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:57:19
1 On 2017-03-17, tuxic@××××××.de <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Finally I moved to my new root and it seems to be $HOME
4 > enough to wiupe the old root.
5 >
6 > The old root is on a separate partition to which I will move
7 > the contents of the new root after wiping the new root.
8 >
9 > May be the following question is born from to much worry, but...
10 >
11 > First I thought: Mount the old root to a certain mountpoint
12 > somewhere, cd into it (as root) and do a rm -rf....
13 >
14 > Then I saw symlinks directly pointing to /usr/lib... (for example)
15 > right into my new root...
16 >
17 > What is a recommended way to do what I am trying to do
18
19 It's not clear waht you are trying to do. Do you want to make sure
20 none of the old data can be recovered from the partition, or do you
21 just want the partition to contain an empty filesystem?
22
23 > without
24 > a) deleting anything outside the old root
25 > b) doing it not TOOO SLOW
26 > c) without leaving filesystem debris somewhere (for example after
27 > a dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda2 count=1 bs=4096
28 > d) anything else I forgot to think about
29
30 If you want to make sure no data is recoverable, then run 'wipe' on
31 the parition. If you just want an empty filesystem then just run
32 'mkfs -t<whatever>' on the partition.
35 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Uh-oh!! I forgot
36 at to submit to COMPULSORY
37 gmail.com URINALYSIS!