From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pocket sneaks back
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 09:51:44
1 On Tuesday, 17 March 2020 04:42:12 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Matt Connell wrote:
3 > > On 2020-03-16 19:46, Dale wrote:
4 > >> Anything that can do, I can do locally by saving a web page or
5 > >> downloading the content.
6
7 Firefox has this functionality for people who have multiple devices and are
8 not able or want to save content locally and want to discover similar
9 articles/pages without carrying out their own web search manually and be able
10 to access them from other devices too, potentially when offline.
13 > > Pocket is easily replaced by just synchronizing bookmarks, for most
14 > > people's purposes, and FF already supports that.
15
16 Pocket, at least in its premium paid for service, is more than a bookmark
17 syncronization service between devices alone. It is utilizing a 3rd party's
18 cloud servers to store content and send this content to your devices, using a
19 Firefox account. In addition, webpages uploaded to Pocket's servers are
20 cleaned from adverts and extraneous content, can be tagged for easier
21 referencing/search, have their text size adjusted for easier reading, etc. I
22 don't know to what extent content is drawn dynamically from the original
23 website and modified on the fly when a user logs in and requests it, or if it
24 is stored on Pocket's servers and remains available even after the original
25 website ceases to exist.
26
27 Arguably Dale already does all most of this for himself, personally, locally
28 and privately, without sharing *his* data with anyone else - unless he
29 explicitly wishes to do so. Other users don't/can't and Pocket caters to
30 their needs.
31
32 Mozilla uses some anonymizing/obfuscating mechanism for storing your Firefox
33 account and associated data on the cloud and Mozilla claim they don't share
34 personally identifiable information with anyone else.
37 > > If you need more than that, I can recommend Wallabag for link-saving. I
38 > > use it as my "read later" list.
39 >
40 > Since I backup my /home directory, I have that already. Based on what
41 > the link claims, it allows you to watch videos, read articles and such
42 > later even if offline. If I like a page, I save it or print it as a pdf
43 > or copy and paste it into LOo. It might be a long way around but it
44 > makes it available even if the website removes content or shuts down
45 > completely, forever.
46
47 Yep, your data, under your ownership and free (as in freedom) access.
50 > Still, I likely don't understand all it does but I disabled it since I
51 > don't think it serves a purpose here for me anyway. Maybe others will.
52 >
53 > I wonder what else Firefox does I don't know about????
54 >
55 > Dale
56 >
57 > :-) :-)
58
59 In a proliferation of 'cloud services', 'user accounts', 'mobile apps', multi-
60 device data access, etc. it is important to satisfy yourself a service
61 provider's Business Model is not somehow orthogonal to your personal data
62 security, privacy, rights and preferences.
63
64 With Mozilla the picture is mixed. Mozilla Foundation is a not-for-profit
65 organization established to lead the open source Mozilla project. All this is
66 good I hear you say, but then comes Mozilla Corp. a subsidiary of Mozilla
67 Foundation. The Mozilla Corp. outfit is for-profit, pays taxes and it
68 reinvests all of its profits back into the Mozilla project. This was needed
69 to overcome financial considerations a not-for-profit organization cannot
70 engage with. Still good. Here comes the rub. Pocket contains closed source
71 code and any statements about being converted into open source have yet to
72 materialize. Also, the business model of surveillance capitalism is endemic
73 in all business affiliates of Mozilla Corp. and the way they make money - with
74 your data. So even if Mozilla Corp. is not using/abusing your private data,
75 its affiliates are in business to do just that.
76
77 I suggest the saying "if its free, your are the product" applies here too.