From: Zeerak Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 04:21:47
1 On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 04:04:38 +0100, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 02/11/2010 01:35 PM, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
4 >
5 >> It just seems silly that if you want to use the newest version of kate,
6 >> kmail etc.
7 > > that semantic-desktop is forced upon you, when you're not interested
8 > in having the
9 > > entire DE.
10 >
11 > By the authority vested in me by My-Wife-the-Windows-User, I welcome you
13 > the gentoo-users mail list. (I don't recall your name from previous
14 > months,
15 > but, nevermind.)
16 >
17 > I see that you've taken some heat in return for your opinions, but you've
18 > maintained a very civil and polite tone to your replies, and I admire you
19 > for that.
22 Why thank you :-)
23
24 > On the other hand, may I politely suggest that, if you wish to use the
25 > latest
26 > version of kate (or any other software including software from M$) you
27 > must
28 > necessarily accept the decisions of the author of that software. How
29 > could
30 > it possibly be otherwise?
33 Well it can't be otherwise, however I do enjoy complaining, well about
34 certain things anyway. Personally I installed kde, and realized I had no
35 idea what on earth was on my computer and why, so I removed it and moved
36 to openbox, and don't use any kde specific apps.
37 But I do find it silly, that the various applications that aren't
38 dependent of the DE, to require a dependency of the DE. It just seems a
39 bit backwards to me :-) I simply don't understand.
40
41 > The Ultimate Solution is to develop your own software, of course, and be
42 > the next M$/Google/Whoever.
43 >
44 > Hey, I'm still working on it -- I'll get there, do-or-die!
48 I just started a degree, to accomplish -something akin to- that ;-)
52 Zeerak