From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Asus Eee Gentoo install - no CD drive
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 04:19:41
1 Hey Grant,
2 I'm the owner of an EeePC 701 (though it recently became defective, i'm
3 opening a case with asus for repairs...).
4
5 First thing i did was to burn Slax 6 (see slax @ http://www.slax.org/) on a
6 USB key, boot it and `dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc` (bye bye
7 lite-version-of-xandros-for-kids-or-retards-only).
8
9 Slax comes with scripts to automate the process of making the key bootable.
10 Go into the bios while the key is in, and you will be able to choose your "USB
11 Megacorp key drive" (or whatever) as the boot device, reboot and enjoy a very
12 nice, complete, full featured linux distribution.
13
14 It should easilly become your rescue disk for your EeePC.
15
16 From there, you will simply follow all instructions for installing gentoo on
17 your sdd hd in a chrooted environment. This will work exactly like with the cd
18 (well, you'll have to work with it as if it was a network install and download
19 the relevant packages). Slax comes with konqueror as the browser, but you can
20 download modules to get firefox instead and simply place them in the key, if i
21 remember right at /<path-to-key>/slax/modules/.
22
23 Have fun!
24
25 Grant wrote:
26 > I'm very familiar with installing Gentoo via LiveCD, but I'm not sure
27 > how to go about it without a CD drive. I'm sure there are many exotic
28 > options to choose from, but I'd rather not have to learn too much new
29 > stuff to get this done. Can anyone recommend a simple method? I have
30 > a wired/wireless LAN/internet connection and 3 systems on the LAN
31 > running Gentoo. No USB drive though.
32 >
33 > - Grant