From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Asus Eee Gentoo install - no CD drive
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 14:05:13
1 > Hey Grant,
2 > I'm the owner of an EeePC 701 (though it recently became defective, i'm
3 > opening a case with asus for repairs...).
4 >
5 > First thing i did was to burn Slax 6 (see slax @ http://www.slax.org/) on a
6 > USB key, boot it and `dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc` (bye bye
7 > lite-version-of-xandros-for-kids-or-retards-only).
8 >
9 > Slax comes with scripts to automate the process of making the key bootable.
10 > Go into the bios while the key is in, and you will be able to choose your
11 > "USB Megacorp key drive" (or whatever) as the boot device, reboot and enjoy
12 > a very nice, complete, full featured linux distribution.
13 >
14 > It should easilly become your rescue disk for your EeePC.
15 >
16 > From there, you will simply follow all instructions for installing gentoo
17 > on your sdd hd in a chrooted environment. This will work exactly like with
18 > the cd (well, you'll have to work with it as if it was a network install and
19 > download the relevant packages). Slax comes with konqueror as the browser,
20 > but you can download modules to get firefox instead and simply place them in
21 > the key, if i remember right at /<path-to-key>/slax/modules/.
22 >
23 > Have fun!
24
25 Thanks a lot for everyone's help. I'm going to dig into this very soon.
26
27 - Grant
30 >> I'm very familiar with installing Gentoo via LiveCD, but I'm not sure
31 >> how to go about it without a CD drive. I'm sure there are many exotic
32 >> options to choose from, but I'd rather not have to learn too much new
33 >> stuff to get this done. Can anyone recommend a simple method? I have
34 >> a wired/wireless LAN/internet connection and 3 systems on the LAN
35 >> running Gentoo. No USB drive though.
36 >>
37 >> - Grant