From: Michal 'vorner' Vaner <michal.vaner@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Migrating gentoo to a new machine
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 10:35:04
1 Hello,
2
3 On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 04:08:41PM +0800, Seo Boon, NG wrote:
4 > Throught the years I've build-up a good collection of gentoo packages that I'm
5 > currently running on my notebook. Now that I need to move to a new notebook, I
6 > build another gentoo system where everything were smooth and I did a emerge
7 > world/systems to get everything update. Now the question is - how do get gentoo
8 > to emerge the exact same number of package like my old notebook? I've attempted
9 > to move /var/lib/portage/world(which contain all the packages that I need) to
10 > the new notebook and start a emerge world. I got an error and ask me to "emaint
11 > -c" that I follow diligently which didn't quite help. I follow up with a "emaint
12 > -f" and somehow it just get rid of all the packages that I need :(
13
14 I would try (since the file looks quite friendly) emerge -va `cat
15 /var/lib/portage/world`
18 chown -R us $BASE
19
20 Michal 'vorner' Vaner