From: "Seo Boon
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Migrating gentoo to a new machine
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 10:18:33
1 Throught the years I've build-up a good collection of gentoo packages that I'm
2 currently running on my notebook. Now that I need to move to a new notebook, I
3 build another gentoo system where everything were smooth and I did a emerge
4 world/systems to get everything update. Now the question is - how do get gentoo
5 to emerge the exact same number of package like my old notebook? I've attempted
6 to move /var/lib/portage/world(which contain all the packages that I need) to
7 the new notebook and start a emerge world. I got an error and ask me to "emaint
8 -c" that I follow diligently which didn't quite help. I follow up with a "emaint
9 -f" and somehow it just get rid of all the packages that I need :(
10
11 Apologies for the cluessless question, is there an easier way to duplicate the
12 exact package on my old system to the new one?
13
14 Thanks in advance.
17 SB
18 http://www.employees.org/~sbng/pgp.txt
19 Key fingerprint = 5945 5E12 25A9 2404 8900 E171 052C 33B6 E210 AB93