From: Pupeno <pupeno@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encripting /home
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:37:10
1 On Friday 29 July 2005 04:13, Ralph Slooten wrote:
2 > Pupeno wrote:
3 > >>I use the dm-crypt from the kernel....
4 > >
5 > > I've read that it is unsecure and I also read that it is not yet vory
6 > > well suported.
7 >
8 > You read wrong. Dm-crypt *is* the encryption technique now used in the
9 > kernel, and it wasn't chosen out of a hat. What you do with it can make
10 > it insecure though, like a postit with the password attached to the
11 > monitor ;-)
12 >
13 > As for being supported, well if something is actually in the kernel
14 > itself (without patches), then it IS fully supported. Dm-crypt is fully
15 > supported since linux 2.6.4
16
17 As I said in another message, what I read is that the userland tools weren't
18 supporting dm-crypt propersy. Probably I've read something that was outdated.
19
20 > Basically, as with any encryption, your secret is as safe as your
21 > password. There are of course tools to help you make your password even
22 > harder to crack, like hashalot, which basically sends your password
23 > though a pipe which hashes it into "greek" ;-)
24 >
25 > > I know I don't need a key, but I do want a key (stored in a remobable
26 > > modia) encripted with a passphrase I will be able to change, or best, my
27 > > wife can have the key protected with a different passphrase than I do.
28 > > Beyond that, encripting with a key is much better than doing that with a
29 > > passphrase because the passphrase can be cracked (dictionary attack)
30 > > while the key-encripted that can't.
31 >
32 > It seems what you are looking for with your "key" is probably a GPG key
33 > needed to unlock your drive. This is definitely possible, but you will
34 > have to do the research yourself. I do know there are tutorials to use
35 > gpg keys with encryption passsords etc... and iirc there was a tutorial
36 > for loop-AES too on their site. If you need this is another story. I
37 > know that gpg can have two separate kleys to do the same thing, so I
38 > presume separate keys and passwords are an option, but I have never
39 > ventured down that lane, as I'm not that paranoid. I use gpg myself for
40 > mailing, and encrypting certain files themselves, but I'm not paranoid
41 > enough to encrypt all my files with such heavy encryption. In fact, not
42 > even the US military is that bad. They now use 256bit AES encryption,
43 > which is the default of dm-crypt, and from an atricle I read it still
44 > would take them a couple of decades to crack.
45
46 I didn't mean to use gpg to encrypt the whole file system, that would be
47 insane. I mean that instead of using a password te encript, to use a
48 generated key, which is stronger and to encrypt that key with a password (and
49 keep it on a remobable media).
50 But now that I think of it, I don't need that much security (Am I the only one
51 that when reading about security gets paranoid ?).
52 I'd like this: home to be encripted in a way that can be mounted thru fstab
53 asking the passphrase at mount-time, with the posibility to change the
54 password easily. I think that can be achieved by using a key and encripting
55 the key on cryptoloop, or it is simpler on loop-AES, because the passphrase
56 con be changed easily, right ? What about dm-crypt ? is the passphrase
57 changeable ?
58
59 Thanks.
60 --