From: Ralph Slooten <ralph@×××××××.ro>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encripting /home
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:47:11
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 > As I said in another message, what I read is that the userland tools weren't
5 > supporting dm-crypt propersy. Probably I've read something that was outdated.
6
7 An old bug I believe. ATM there is nothing I know of that supports a bug
8 or flaw in any way.
9
10 > I didn't mean to use gpg to encrypt the whole file system, that would be
11 > insane. I mean that instead of using a password te encript, to use a
12 > generated key, which is stronger and to encrypt that key with a password (and
13 > keep it on a remobable media).
14
15 > But now that I think of it, I don't need that much security (Am I the only one
16 > that when reading about security gets paranoid ?).
17
18 I agree you don't need that much security, but no, you are not the only
19 one paranoid ;-) I do not think howevere that any agency would spend
20 more than 2 days trying to hack your computer without literally trying
21 to force it out of you. If it's more serious than that, then I guess
22 they suspect you of having all the plans /addresses of the taliban on
23 your comp ;-) Then you're on your own, lol. Either way, with plain old
24 AES it's a matter of brute-force, and with dm-crypt the choice is up to
25 you what hashing you use. What I mean with hashing is that your PW is
26 send though a <whatever> hash. The password "passwd" becomes
27 "kæ?&GòÝ3e.!+1´¦G·Áç.??ñÓû" (in plain ASCII through a sha256 bit system
28 used by dm-crypt). Of couse it's more compicated than that, but try
29 getting just that password (the ascii version) with just plain text ;-)
30 ... See you next century.
31
32 To give you an example: in Holland they can give you a maximum of 3
33 months jail sentence for something you refuse to co-operate on .. IE:
34 the password to your filesystem. If you think the contents are worth
35 more then 3 months jail sentence keep your mouth shut, else just tell
36 them. They won't crack your system even if you use 265kbit encryption.
37 Take the .. ummm what was it called... something with a cow-logo... it
38 was like seti@home, they solved it, using thousands of computers all
39 over the world, and it took quite some time (2 years or so? anyone?).
40 The thing was, it was 56bit encryption ;-) 256bit is a little (actually
41 a LOT) more.
42
43 > I'd like this: home to be encripted in a way that can be mounted thru fstab
44 > asking the passphrase at mount-time, with the posibility to change the
45 > password easily. I think that can be achieved by using a key and encripting
46 > the key on cryptoloop, or it is simpler on loop-AES, because the passphrase
47 > con be changed easily, right ? What about dm-crypt ? is the passphrase
48 > changeable ?
49
50 I believe with loop-AES, yes, but not with dm-crypt .. at least not yet.
51 They are working on this, but I don't know how far they are. The thing
52 is, does it need to be changed? This is for home use right? You are your
53 spouce know the password, but how many others? A password of this
54 measure does (IMHO) not need to be changes often at all, unless sent
55 over an uncrypted line often.
56
57 As I believe I mentioned in my previous post (beer has gotten hold of
58 me) I mough my partitions with a bash script. It just has a list of the
59 commands (with some error-correction) saves as an executable file. Let's
60 call it "secdrive" ... all I say is `secdrive on` and it mounts it,
61 asking for the password, and `secdrive off` umounting it. Pretty much
62 the same way as fstab, except no trace of it there, and what can't be
63 seen there isn't notived even (at least until "they" search your
64 .bash_history files etc).
65
66 I hope this os actually of some relevance ;-)
67
68 If you would like more info, I wrote a tutorial on
69 http://axljab.homelinux.org/Encryption_-_dm-crypt , and if you want I
70 can send you my bash script which you can modify to you needs.
71
72 Greetings
73 Ralph
74
75 PS: excuse the spelling mistakes. It wasn't my fault ;-)
83 --
84 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list