From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Immensely disappointed in emerge -DuN world these days
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 03:47:45
1 On 9/12/07, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 18:06 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > Sorry. I should have started that a number of the failures have come
5 > > while doing revdep-rebuild. One seemingly large problem is that
6 > > revdep-rebuild wants to rebuild packages that are no longer in portage
7 > > so you have to remove those from the rebuild or attempt to change
8 > > revision numbers by hand on the fly in the long command that
9 > > revdep-rebuild -p creates. That's been a mess and not the way I know
10 > > the portage developers want me to maintain the system.
11 >
12 > -X, -X, again I say -X!
13 >
14 > with ~x86 revdep-rebuild, this behaviour is default, but most likely
15 > with your revdep-rebuild, you can specify -X to get the latest version
16 > of the packages. Otherwise it will try and use the currently installed
17 > version, which isn't what you want when in the middle of a large
18 > upgrade!
19 >
20 > HTH,
21 > --
22 > Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>
25 That's very interesting. What about slotting issues? What if it's the
26 old version in a slot that needs to be rebuilt? (FYI - I don't really
27 understand slotting that much since I don't program. I've guessed it's
28 because some code needs old libraries, etc., and somehow slotting
29 takes care of that.) Does -X install the latest version in the
30 specific slot?
31
32 Anyway, I've wondered at times about just removing all the specific
33 revision numbers but I'm wary of going beyond my comfort zone and then
34 ending up in a state that's more difficult to fix.
35
36 Maybe the revdep-rebuild guys should (could?) include -X if it's the
37 right thing to do?
38
39 Thanks for the info.
40