From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 20:20:15
1 On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 3:09 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm not sure if one can convert that to NSA time or not. o_O The
4 > password contains upper/lower case letters, couple symbols from up top
5 > of the number keys and several numbers. None of which anyone would be
6 > able to guess in any way. They have nothing to do with that list of
7 > things not to use, birthdays etc. If a person was trying to just guess
8 > it, even a best friend who knows me extremely well, they would not be
9 > able to guess it much less the order of it. The only bad thing, it
10 > isn't to easy to type. Of course, a really good password usually isn't
11 > so . . .
12
13 And do you use that password on only a single site?
14
15 If you use it on more than one, then as soon as one of those sites is
16 compromised it will sniff your password and then your password can be
17 used on all the others without any cpu cycles wasted on brute-forcing
18 it at all.
19
20 That is the weakness of random passwords. Unless you use some kind of
21 password manager you won't actually use a unique password on each site
22 due to difficulty with memorization...
25 Rich