From: Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Depclean question
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:25:07
1 On 10/16/07, Anthony E. Caudel <tony.caudel@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > I have just used depclean for the first time (I was afraid of it) after
3 > several years of Gentoo. It has cleaned up my system a good bit but now
4 > it wants to remove some packages that I'm concerned about:
5 >
6 > gcc-3.4.6-r2 (I'm using 4.1.2)
7 > libstdc++-v3-3.3.4 and virtual/libstdc++
8 > virtual/jdk and virual/jre (it leaves the later versions in both cases)
9 > qt-4.1.4-r2 (leaving qt-3.3.8-r4)
10 > several early versions of db leaving db-4.5.20_p2
11 > and a few others
12 >
13 > How much danger is there if I remove these?
14
15 Well, you might find yourself in an un-usable GUI system upon reboot.
16 To add packages, that you care about, to your world file use: emerge
17 --noreplace <atom>. Do this with all the packages you want to keep /
18 you feel are essential to your system.
19
20 I'd like, however, that someone more experienced confirm my comments.
21 Also, look at: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Maintain_Gentoo_-_%22Best_Practices%22#depclean
22
23 Regards,
24 Liviu