From: Jigme Datse <jigme.datse@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eudev/udev changeover: a warning to Linode customers
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 19:18:49
1 On Wed, 01 Dec 2021 12:49:59 -0500
2 "Matt Connell (Gmail)" <matthewdconnell@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > If you have a Gentoo machine running on Linode, take care to note that
5 > the eudev => udev changeover requires some manual intervention before
6 > the next reboot.
7 >
8 > You will need to DISABLE the network autoconfiguration option for the
9 > VM, and edit /etc/conf.d/net to specify the new, 'predictable' network
10 > interface name. This is because Linode's network autoconfigurator is
11 > hard-coded to generate a configuration using the traditional style of
12 > network interface names, eg. eth0
13 >
14 > Alternatively, you can make whatever changes are required to have the
15 > system enumerate the network interfaces with the old style names.
16 >
17 > If you do neither of those things, you will need to use the rescue
18 > console in order to log into the machine and fix your network
19 > configuration, as the system will not be able to bring up the network
20 > on its next boot. Ask me how I learned this.
24 I honestly was afraid of this with running some updates lately.
25 Like... Not this specifically, but because someone was commenting
26 about eudev->udev causing problems... And then the problems I was
27 having a hard time with some updates on a relatively new instance, and
28 I noticed that was something that needed to be done for Gentoo
29 purposes... They do seem to be doing *somewhat* better for having
30 Gentoo workable than when I started looking at using them in part
31 because of that (yeah I know it's not recommended, and I don't really
32 recommend it for anyone else, but it's what I like).