From: Andrey Gerasimenko <gak@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:31:27
1 On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 20:27:20 +0300, Hemmann, Volker Armin
2 <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On Monday 18 December 2006 15:47, Grant wrote:
5 >> I've caught a whiff or two lately that Gentoo is declining in
6 >> popularity amongst users and developers. Is it all in my head? I
7 >> personally still love Gentoo.
8 >
9 > there are always several phases in the life of a distri.
10 >
11 > Beginning, when it becomes 'cool' and a sudden surge in users, some time
12 > of
13 > high popularity, a decline, and at the end, only the users who are
14 > really 'the right ones' for that kind of distri are left.
17 Not only 'the right ones'. There will always be some number of users who
18 are evaluating the distro.
19
20 > So the 'always using the cool thing' users are gone and the 'we are
21 > using what
22 > the cool guys were using' crowd is leaving now. So what? Are they
23 > important?
24 > No. At some point ubuntu will suffer the same. And then the next cool
25 > distro
26 > de jour.
27 >
28 > Some decline in user interest is normal - and a healthy process. Because
29 > it
30 > removes the 'I use it because it is cool' and 'I use it because everybody
31 > else uses it' type of users.
32
33 Where can I get data on the number of Gentoo users and how it changes with
34 time? Are the sync servers reporting the number of portage trees? Are the
35 numbers of subscribers to Gentoo mailing lists available? Can the number
36 of Gentoo developers and the number of developers per package be made
37 known (there is a report somewhere in the thread that the number of
38 developers increased from 60 to 300 in 3 days, but a finer time scale is
39 of interest)?
40
41 As far as I understand, software developers normally provide tarballs and
42 distro developers create packages. Do some developers provide packages
43 themselves? If yes, what distros do they choose and how often do they
44 choose Gentoo? It may be interesting to compare these numbers with the
45 number of users.
50 Andrei Gerasimenko
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list