From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:31:47
1 On Monday 18 December 2006 15:47, Grant wrote:
2 > I've caught a whiff or two lately that Gentoo is declining in
3 > popularity amongst users and developers. Is it all in my head? I
4 > personally still love Gentoo.
5
6 there are always several phases in the life of a distri.
7
8 Beginning, when it becomes 'cool' and a sudden surge in users, some time of
9 high popularity, a decline, and at the end, only the users who are
10 really 'the right ones' for that kind of distri are left.
11
12 So the 'always using the cool thing' users are gone and the 'we are using what
13 the cool guys were using' crowd is leaving now. So what? Are they important?
14 No. At some point ubuntu will suffer the same. And then the next cool distro
15 de jour.
16
17 Some decline in user interest is normal - and a healthy process. Because it
18 removes the 'I use it because it is cool' and 'I use it because everybody
19 else uses it' type of users.
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list