From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 18:58:38
1 > > I've caught a whiff or two lately that Gentoo is declining in
2 > > popularity amongst users and developers. Is it all in my head? I
3 > > personally still love Gentoo.
4 >
5 > there are always several phases in the life of a distri.
6 >
7 > Beginning, when it becomes 'cool' and a sudden surge in users, some time of
8 > high popularity, a decline, and at the end, only the users who are
9 > really 'the right ones' for that kind of distri are left.
10 >
11 > So the 'always using the cool thing' users are gone and the 'we are using what
12 > the cool guys were using' crowd is leaving now. So what? Are they important?
13 > No. At some point ubuntu will suffer the same. And then the next cool distro
14 > de jour.
15 >
16 > Some decline in user interest is normal - and a healthy process. Because it
17 > removes the 'I use it because it is cool' and 'I use it because everybody
18 > else uses it' type of users.
19
20 I'm thinking this over a bit more, and it seems like the best thing
21 for Gentoo (or any distro) is a lot of users. More users must mean
22 more active developers, and more active developers must mean an
23 increased rate of growth for the software.
24
25 I believe the great benefit of Gentoo is its flexibility, and
26 flexibility is like a meta-benefit because it makes possible any other
27 benefit. What do you think makes Ubuntu the distro of the moment? Is
28 it ease-of-use? If Gentoo focused more on ease-of-use aspects of the
29 Ubuntu variety, they would attract more users and thereby increase the
30 rate of growth for the software.
31
32 Popular migration from one distro to the next sends a very important
33 signal to any distro that wants to grow.
34
35 - Grant
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list