From: Jonathan Callen <jcallen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Fwd: [gentoo-dev] Package up for grabs: sys-boot/gummiboot
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 04:32:55
1 On 05/23/2016 11:08 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Jonathan Callen wrote:
3 >> On 05/23/2016 12:39 AM, Dale wrote:
4 >>> -------- Forwarded Message --------
5 >>>> Subject: [gentoo-dev] Package up for grabs: sys-boot/gummiboot
6 >>>> Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 13:45:55 +0200
7 >>>> From: Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
8 >>>> Reply-To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
9 >>>> Organization: Gentoo
10 >>>> To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
11 >>>>
12 >>>>
13 >>>>
14 >>>> I'm no longer willing to maintain sys-boot/gummiboot and this makes it
15 >>>> maintainer-needed. The package is no longer maintained upstream,
16 >>>> and has been merged into systemd. It seems that there are still people
17 >>>> using it without systemd though, so I'm not going to lastrite it
18 >>>> myself, and prefer getting a new maintainer for it.
19 >>>>
20 >>>> --
21 >>>> Best regards,
22 >>>> Michał Górny
23 >>>> <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>
24 >>> This was posted on -dev a few days ago. I'm pretty sure there are
25 >>> some users here that use this and so far, no one has stepped up to take it.
26 >>> If one of the users who uses this wants to keep it available, may want
27 >>> to see if you, and maybe some other helpers, can help maintain it.
28 >>>
29 >>> Just thought I would pass this on in case no one was aware.
30 >>>
31 >>> Dale
32 >>>
33 >>> :-) :-)
34 >>>
35 >>> P. S. I'm not sure how this is going to be formatted. It looks odd at
36 >>> the moment. :/
37 >>
38 >> The magic to getting things like this to format correctly is to remove
39 >> the line that is exactly "-- " (dash-dash-space) and everything
40 >> following it -- or to ensure that that line is quoted somehow. Most
41 >> text email clients treat that string as a signature indicator, and
42 >> assume that everything following it isn't very important, just boilerplate.
46 > My concern was whether it would show what was my text and what was the
47 > original since they both looked the same. It didn't quote like it
48 > normally would but it is fairly obvious as to who said what.
49 >
50 > The biggest thing, I wanted to let folks know that if someone doesn't
51 > step up that this package may die. I don't use it myself, although I've
52 > considered switching to it, but know others on this list do use it.
53 > Some of them likely have the skills to handle this if they have time and
54 > choose too.
55 >
56 > Thanks.
57 >
58 > Dale
59 >
66 My client decided that everything after the "-- " line was part of the
67 signature of the original (forwarded) email, and put it and all that
68 followed in a very light gray on white, nearly unreadable. It appears
69 that your client wants you to use TOFU [Top-post Over, Full-quote Under]
70 for forwards, even though it allows other formats for replies.
73 Jonathan Callen