From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] MBR + GPT + GRUB
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 07:10:00
1 180721 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 21 July 2018 19:47:25 BST Jack wrote:
3 >> Are you sure this wasn't fallout from the recent grub problems
4 >> in the Mint ISO : https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3620 ?
5 >> I can't find the relevant message, so I'm not sure where I saw it.
6 >> However, it seems like the issue was that installing Mint
7 >> messed up Grub and left the PC unbootable.
8 > I posted this blog entry on another thread, but the GRUB problem
9 > described there breaks EFI installations when the live session
10 > is connected to the Internet.
11
12 There were 2 different issues re Mint + Grub, the one above
13 & my own gruesome half-hour after the installer for Mint 19
14 overwrote my MBR without warning & forced me to use System Rescue,
15 fiddle with some files & run Lilo to restore the MBR to what it sb.
16
17 All is well with the new Mint 19 now, but there is no simple way
18 to send a bug report to the Mint developers. Well, not quite all :
19 Mint suggests the new user update some pkgs, but when you say "ok",
20 it pokes around, then says it can't connect to its repositories.
21
22 Gentoo has its irritating features -- Portage output 1st among them -- ,
23 but a few brief hours with Mint reminds me how much better it is
24 than all those pre-cooked binary distros which are the alternative.
25 And all of them are far better than trying to live in the Microsoft Motel.
26
27 (smile for now)
31 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
32 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
33 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca