From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My Continuing ALSA Woes
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 19:38:42
1 On 10/22/05, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 08:51 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > On 10/22/05, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > > Yes. I sent the output in a previous post. I don't use aplay very
6 > > > often, but I believe that the output it gave was the output it's
7 > > > supposed to give on a working sound system, except that there was no
8 > > > sound coming out of the speakers. I checked and the speakers are turned
9 > > > on and plugged into the PC and I turned the volume all the way up before
10 > > > running aplay and still didn't hear the wav file.
11 > >
12 > > I'm really hesitant to mention this one, but others have done it and
13 > > so have I oncce or twice. Are you sure you have the speakers plugged
14 > > into the right output from the motherboard? Normally it's the green
15 > > one in the middle.
16 > >
17 > > Also, there was a time when the Intel 810 was senting output out on
18 > > some other plug on a couple of machines. Try the headphone output plug
19 > > as well as the speaker output plug.
20 > >
21 > > - Mark
24 > I have my speakers plugged into the headphone jack on the front of the
25 > case. That's the only way I could get sound out of them in Windows XP.
26
27 Seems like a reasonable thing, based on the Windows results, but I am
28 not the least bit confident that this will work with Alsa.
29
30 Can you test again using back panel connectors? What motherboard it
31 this? Or what machine? Is it somethign you built or is it like a Dell
32 or some other prebuilt machine.
33
34 One downside to Dell machines is that htey are SO tightly tied in with
35 Intel that they often are very leading edge hardware. Good for
36 Windows, if the drivers are ready, and Dell has enough pull to make
37 sure they are, but not a good thing when you get to be an early Linux
38 adopter.
39
40 Anyway, please, please try workign with the back panel connectors and
41 let me know what motherboard we are talking about.
42
43 - Mark
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list