From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My Continuing ALSA Woes
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 20:37:33
1 On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 12:29 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On 10/22/05, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 08:51 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > > > On 10/22/05, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > > Yes. I sent the output in a previous post. I don't use aplay very
7 > > > > often, but I believe that the output it gave was the output it's
8 > > > > supposed to give on a working sound system, except that there was no
9 > > > > sound coming out of the speakers. I checked and the speakers are turned
10 > > > > on and plugged into the PC and I turned the volume all the way up before
11 > > > > running aplay and still didn't hear the wav file.
12 > > >
13 > > > I'm really hesitant to mention this one, but others have done it and
14 > > > so have I oncce or twice. Are you sure you have the speakers plugged
15 > > > into the right output from the motherboard? Normally it's the green
16 > > > one in the middle.
17 > > >
18 > > > Also, there was a time when the Intel 810 was senting output out on
19 > > > some other plug on a couple of machines. Try the headphone output plug
20 > > > as well as the speaker output plug.
21 > > >
22 > > > - Mark
23 > > >
24 > >
25 > > I have my speakers plugged into the headphone jack on the front of the
26 > > case. That's the only way I could get sound out of them in Windows XP.
27 >
28 > Seems like a reasonable thing, based on the Windows results, but I am
29 > not the least bit confident that this will work with Alsa.
30 >
31 > Can you test again using back panel connectors? What motherboard it
32 > this? Or what machine? Is it somethign you built or is it like a Dell
33 > or some other prebuilt machine.
34 >
35 > One downside to Dell machines is that htey are SO tightly tied in with
36 > Intel that they often are very leading edge hardware. Good for
37 > Windows, if the drivers are ready, and Dell has enough pull to make
38 > sure they are, but not a good thing when you get to be an early Linux
39 > adopter.
40 >
41 > Anyway, please, please try workign with the back panel connectors and
42 > let me know what motherboard we are talking about.
43 >
44 > - Mark
47 OK. I powered down the machine and tipped it and plugged my speakers
48 into the "Line Out" slot. It worked in Windows. Before I must have
49 plugged it into the "Line In" slot. I booted back into Linux and
50 started alsasound and tried the aplay test. No sound out of the
51 speakers...
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list