From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: DMZ on an vmware gentoo guest running on winXP host
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:50:54
1 On Friday 14 December 2007, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
3 > >> Would I likely be opening my lan up for some christmas shopping by
4 > >> having a gentoo guest on a WinXP host running as a DMZ machine?
5 > >> It would be pretty barebones with a IPTABLE setup for logging and
6 > >> tagging or whatever I get interested in doing with the traffic.
7 > >>
8 > >> No X server or other frills.
9 > >
10 > > A rather simpler solution to do this would be to get hold of hub, connect
11 > > it to the firewall and watch everything that passes through it.
12 >
13 > I do have an older hub, but not sure what you mean here. The hub has
14 > no network address and of course is not switched so anything going
15 > thru it can be filtered with tcpdump. But the router is switched.
16 > Not sure how a hub would see the outfacing address. I'd be able to
17 > see all the lan machines that were going thru it, but how about the
18 > traffic that the firewall is rejecting? Thats what I'm after.
19 >
20 > Can you elaborate a little?
21 >
22 > Maybe you mean something different by `hub'.
23
24 I mean a hardware hub, not a switch and not a router. You need to place it
25 in-line between your router/switch and your modem. Being on the WAN side of
26 your NAT it will 'see' all the packets that go to/from the Internet
27 (unfiltered). On the other side of the router you get the filtered traffic
28 which when compared/contrasted with the WAN side will show you what the
29 router and it's firewall are doing. I hope this is a bit clearer, otherwise
30 please email me if you think this is getting off topic.
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Mick