From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: jedmallen@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading the kernel
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 03:08:01
1 On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 10:19:57 +0800
2 Jed R. Mallen wrote:
5 > Do you guys have a trick that will update a new kernel quickly? I'm
6 > using 2.6.21-gentoo-r4 right now, and have foregone upgrading to
7 > 2.6.22-gentoo-r5 and -r8 because I read somewhere that I can't just
8 > use my old .config file for a new kernel version if it's *not* a
9 > revision-upgrade and I can only upgrade safely between 2 revisions.
10 >
11 > I don't want to go through all those kernel settings one by one. Do
12 > you just remember a few key things that you need (framebuffer, video,
13 > usb, etc) and just use the default settings?
14 >
15 > Thanks.
16
17 "make oldconfig" should help. It'll take your old options and prompt
18 for yes/no responses for new ones.
19
20 I've heard that one of the big differences is that "IDE" drives are now
21 classified as "PATA" (parallel ATA) drives. However, I don't know
22 if/how that affects .config
23
24 HTH,
25