From: Fernando Rodriguez <cyklonite@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: basic grub question
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 19:06:37
1 On 06/15/2016 07:58 PM, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> <covici <at> ccs.covici.com> writes:
7 >>> Well, the problemis, I don't know the correct parameters to get the best
8 >>> resolution -- there is a formula to calculate if I use vga=, but grub
9 >>> had a way where you specified the mode and it put the screen in graphics
10 >>> mode and passed it on to linux, which seemed unique to me.
11 >>
12 >> vga=
13 >> 773 = 1024x768x8
14 >> 775 = 1280x1024x8
15 >> 791 = 1024x768x16
16 >> 794 = 1280x1024x16
19 >> http://www.sprint.net.au/~terbut/usefulbox/lilovgatable.htm
20 >>
21 >> may help.
22 > Thanks, I will check this out.
25 For the framebuffer drivers that may not work. For a trident card I use
26 tridentfb.mode_option=1280x1024@60. The options for the different drivers
27 can be found on the kernel documentation on Documentation/fb.
28
29 What worked best for me with nouveau on recent kernels is to disable all
30 framebuffer drivers and enable CONFIG_DRM_FBDEV_EMULATION. It will boot into
31 the framebuffer without flicker.
32
33 You can also use the VESA driver to boot and then load the nouveau
34 module (which udev should do automatically for you). For me this switches
35 to the fb console as soon as the module loads but it gives me a blank
36 screen or a panic if any other fb drivers than VESA are builtin or loaded.