From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: basic grub question
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 20:19:05
1 Fernando Rodriguez <cyklonite@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 06/15/2016 07:58 PM, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > > James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> <covici <at> ccs.covici.com> writes:
7 > >>
8 > >>
9 > >>> Well, the problemis, I don't know the correct parameters to get the best
10 > >>> resolution -- there is a formula to calculate if I use vga=, but grub
11 > >>> had a way where you specified the mode and it put the screen in graphics
12 > >>> mode and passed it on to linux, which seemed unique to me.
13 > >>
14 > >> vga=
15 > >> 773 = 1024x768x8
16 > >> 775 = 1280x1024x8
17 > >> 791 = 1024x768x16
18 > >> 794 = 1280x1024x16
19 > >>
20 > >>
21 > >> http://www.sprint.net.au/~terbut/usefulbox/lilovgatable.htm
22 > >>
23 > >> may help.
24 > > Thanks, I will check this out.
27 > For the framebuffer drivers that may not work. For a trident card I use
28 > tridentfb.mode_option=1280x1024@60. The options for the different drivers
29 > can be found on the kernel documentation on Documentation/fb.
30 >
31 > What worked best for me with nouveau on recent kernels is to disable all
32 > framebuffer drivers and enable CONFIG_DRM_FBDEV_EMULATION. It will boot into
33 > the framebuffer without flicker.
34 >
35 > You can also use the VESA driver to boot and then load the nouveau
36 > module (which udev should do automatically for you). For me this switches
37 > to the fb console as soon as the module loads but it gives me a blank
38 > screen or a panic if any other fb drivers than VESA are builtin or loaded.
39
40 What I find is that even though I have uvesafb as a module, and nouveau
41 as a module nouveau gets loaded automatically and I get a frame buffer
42 which seems not too bad, not as good as the uvesafb one, but it will do
43 for the time being. I have a 1920x1080 screen.
47 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
48 How do
49 you spend it?
50
51 John Covici