From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: FreeAgent extn. Drive setup ideas
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 04:58:56
1 Christopher Copeland <chrcop <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > Yes, some help with udev rules or a slick trick via fstab is what I was
5 > > really after. Or maybe something cool related to the usb buss and
6 > > a trick to *uniquely lable* usb devices.....
7
8 > Would using the UUID for the partition work for you?
9
10 > vol_id /dev/sdXX
11
12 > You can use UUID=blah in your fstab.
13
14 Possible,
15
16 I'm not sure what the UUID (Universally Unique ID)?
17
18 OK so here's what I have from lsusb:
21 Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bc2:3000 Seagate RSS LLC
22
23 I not sure what the FStab entry would like like?
24 I use ntfs-3g for many of them. Currently, it's a
25 manual juggling act as to which device is called what
26 on the various systems. Very prone to mistakes
27 as there is no consistency as the devices are moved
28 between systems in an asymmetrical dance....
29
30 If I use a UUID, how do I 'burn/label/add' it to the
31 device, so when it is moved to another system
32 it's UUID that I have created is recognized? Maybe use
33 the serial number as a unique (UUID) label? If so, I'd need
34 a tool/script/program to rip the serial number from the usb
35 buss..... and then compare it to the FStab or udev rules.
36 Maybe sd(serial-number) so they always show up uniquely?
37 Add cameras and audio devices, not to mention embedded programmers
38 and boards and I'm ready to .<>.
41 >From usbview:
42
43 FreeAgentDesktop
44 Manufacturer: Seagate
45 Serial Number: 6QG1FYPA
46
47 Can you flesh out your idea with a little bit more detail?
48 (remember I have many usb devices and move them frequently between
49 windows and Gentoo systems).
52 James
55 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list