From: Christopher Copeland <chrcop@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: FreeAgent extn. Drive setup ideas
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 09:06:50
1 James wrote:
2 > Can you flesh out your idea with a little bit more detail?
3 > (remember I have many usb devices and move them frequently between
4 > windows and Gentoo systems).
7 > James
10 Just to be clear this isn't *my* idea, see:
11
12 http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Fstab
13
14 ubuntu and I assume others have started populating the fstab with UUID
15 entries rather than device names. To me it seems like an elegant
16 solution to a problem, maybe not YOUR problem but that is likely down to
17 my not understanding as completely as you do. :)
18
19 As Neil said, udev rules can make it work or you can edit one line of
20 your fstab. So that this:
21
22 /dev/sdd1 /mnt/usb type defaults 0 0
23
24 Becomes:
25
26 UUID=123456 /mnt/usb type deftauls 0 0
27
28 You can find 123456 by issuing:
29
30 vol_id /dev/sdd1
31
32 Again, whether or not this is what you need, only you can say.
33 --
34 Christopher
38 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list