From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems setting up sshd on an installation kernel
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 20:08:02
1 On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Florian Philipp
2 <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
3 > Alan Mackenzie schrieb:
4 >> Hi, folks!
5 >>
6 >> I'm trying to get sshd working on an embryonic Gentoo installation on my
7 >> laptop.  The reason is that I want to ssh from my nice comfy desktop
8 >> system into this laptop to do the rest of the installation stuff.
9 >>
10 >> The installation kernel with which I'm having problems is:
11 >> Linux livecd 2.6.30-gentoo-r8 #1 SMP Tue Nov 3 11:40:51 UTC 2009.
12 >>
13 >> Having started sshd on my laptop, when I do
14 >>
15 >>     ssh -lroot 192.168.2.101
16 >>
17 >> from my desktop, I get prompted for my ssh key's pass phrase, which I
18 >> enter.  Thereafter, nothing happens, and it continues to happen for a
19 >> long, long time.
20 >>
21 > [...]
22 >>
23 >> Clearly openpty (a C function) is failing to find some file.  Don't you
24 >> just love error messages like "No such file or directory" which forget
25 >> to identify the filename?  I'm guessing that the file it can't find is
26 >> the device file for the new pty.
27 >>
28 >> Is there anything I can do to get sshd working from this kernel (and if
29 >> so, what?), or is there something fundamentally wrong with the kernel
30 >> configuration?
33 > Where did you start sshd, in the chrooted environment or on the live cd
34 > itself?
35
36 My first thought as well... I'd guess, just at a glance, that sshd was
37 started in the chroot, and that /mnt/gentoo/dev/ is bind mounted
38 properly, but /mnt/gentoo/dev/pts/ isn't.
41 Poison [BLX]
42 Joshua M. Murphy