From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage GUI interfaces...
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:06:29
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 > From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
4 > On Thursday 25 February 2010 05:14:06 ubiquitous1980 wrote:
5 > > BRM wrote:
6 > > > I am interested in finding a GUI interface for working with portage,
7 > > > preferably for KDE4. Namely b/c I am getting a little tired of having
8 > > > konsole windows open and not being able to keep track of where I am in
9 > > > the emerge update process - something a GUI _ought_ to be able to
10 > > > resolve.
11 > > In the case that there is not a GUI tool, why not run as root # tail -f
12 > > /var/log/emerge.log
13 > > It tells you what is being installed at present
14 > > Another, to see what you are downloading is # tail -f
15 > > /var/log/emerge-fetch.log
16 > Set the terminal up so that it displays the running command in the titlebar.
17
18 I do have that setup - and it _use_ to work just fine. However, now it just shows "python 2.6".
19 So I'm looking for a better solution.
20
21 The 'genlop' tool that Dale suggested looks like a great find; so looks like I have something even if I don't find a GUI.
22
23 ----- Original Message ----
24 > From: Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas
25 <ronisbr@×××××.com>
26 > Me and Locke Shinseiko are developing a graphical tool to make
27 portage daily
28 > tasks easier. It is called KPortageTray and you
29 can find it on app-
30 > portage/kportagetray at kde overlay.
31 <snip>
32
33 While I like the idea of having something in the system-tray, I'm not a fan of you solution.
34 I'd much rather have a nice GUI interface wrapped around it all.
35
36 BTW, you have the same problem if the SSH connection or KConsole is closed during an emerge.
37 You can get around that using 'screen' kind of, but needless to say - just using KConsole doesn't solve the problem.
38
39 Also, with KDE/Qt you can wrap processes (QProcess, not sure what the KDE wrapper is) and get their I/O,
40 so you could probably try wrapping a detached process of the desired command and then just pull its I/O.
41 I would be surprised if the other GUIs were not either doing that or directly working with emerge/portage via an API (if there is one aside from the command-line).
42
43 Ben