From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gigabyte and controlling fans
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 17:00:42
1 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Sunday 12 December 2010 20:34:22 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Sunday 12 December 2010 05:20:27 Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> That comes from lm-sensors. Hmmm. Since I have my stuff built into
9 >>>> the
10 >>>> kernel, can I still use that or would they clash somehow?
11 >>>>
12 >>>> Also, this is a desktop not a laptop just in case it matters.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Dale
15 >>>>
16 >>>> :-) :-)
17 >>>>
18 >>> a) building the sensor stuff into the kernel is stupid
19 >>> b) yes
20 >>>
21 >> Why is it stupid? I been using Linux for years and have no modules
22 >> except for nvidia and don't think I ever have either. What difference
23 >> does it make if it is a module or built in?
24 >>
25 >> Dale
26 >>
27 >> :-) :-)
28 >>
29 > because sometimes the only thing to get a device back in working order is to
30 > remove the driver and reload it. Easy with modules. Not with built in drivers.
31 > Sometimes you have to try/use different options. Easy with modules, but a
32 > reboot with built in drivers.
33 >
34 > Rule of thumb: everything you need to boot built in, everything else modules.
35 > Results in the least problems.
39 Well, having them built in has worked all these years. If I have a
40 driver problem, I get a new kernel. Solves that problem.
41
42 Dale
43