From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gigabyte and controlling fans
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 15:55:51
1 On Sunday 12 December 2010 20:34:22 Dale wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 12 December 2010 05:20:27 Dale wrote:
4 > >> That comes from lm-sensors. Hmmm. Since I have my stuff built into
5 > >> the
6 > >> kernel, can I still use that or would they clash somehow?
7 > >>
8 > >> Also, this is a desktop not a laptop just in case it matters.
9 > >>
10 > >> Dale
11 > >>
12 > >> :-) :-)
13 > >
14 > > a) building the sensor stuff into the kernel is stupid
15 > > b) yes
16 >
17 > Why is it stupid? I been using Linux for years and have no modules
18 > except for nvidia and don't think I ever have either. What difference
19 > does it make if it is a module or built in?
20 >
21 > Dale
22 >
24
25 because sometimes the only thing to get a device back in working order is to
26 remove the driver and reload it. Easy with modules. Not with built in drivers.
27 Sometimes you have to try/use different options. Easy with modules, but a
28 reboot with built in drivers.
29
30 Rule of thumb: everything you need to boot built in, everything else modules.
31 Results in the least problems.