From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Get off my lawn?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 00:41:05
1 On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 6:25 PM, Paul B. Henson <henson@×××.org> wrote:
2 > http://www.linuxvoice.com/interview-lennart-poettering/
3 >
4 > So it seems the reason (in Lennart Poettering's imagination at least)
5 > that Gentoo hasn't embraced systemd as our default init system is
6 > because we're all old and conservative?
7
8 He isn't the first to make that observation. Many have pointed out
9 that the testing branch today seems a lot like stable Gentoo used to
10 be, and that we err too much on the side of not making big changes.
11
12 However, I'm not sure that we really are afraid of breaking things so
13 much that many of us have just grown comfortable with the way things
14 have been done.
15
16 I suspect that eventually we'll get to a point where the stage3s don't
17 contain init, just as they don't contain a kernel. Besides, who wants
18 all those files clogging up their drives when all they want is a
19 chroot? :)
20
21 Whatever, I could really care less what Lennart thinks of Gentoo, or
22 how you feel about Lennart. It isn't like another systemd flamewar is
23 going to change anything.
26 Rich