From: Matthias Fechner <idefix@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Several arches installed, flag kernel automatically
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 16:28:25
1 Hi David,
2
3 Nelson, David (ED, PAR&D) schrieb:
4 > You could try playing with the makefile I guess - there should be some
5 > sort of instruction in there to tell it where to put the kernel. I would
6 > have a look myself if I had a copy of the kernel stuff to hand.
7
8 thx for your answer.
9 I do it now in the following way:
10 Set LOCALVERSION in the .config file from the kernel (if you find the
11 right menu point you can also do it with make menuconfig, but vim is
12 faster *g*).
13 Compile the kernel and easily install it with make install.
14
15 Then I have the files:
16 System.map-2.6.18-gentoo-r6-32bit
17 config...
18 vmlinuz...
19
20 In grub I always have the link to the full name and not to the symlink.
21
22 That works fine but if I upgrade to a new kernel I must always update my
23 grub config file.
24 Ok that is not so bad but if there would be a solution to solve it with
25 a symlink I would prefer it :)
26
27 Best regards,
28 Matthias
32 "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
33 build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to
34 produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." --
35 Rich Cook
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list