From: "Vladimir G. Ivanovic" <vgivanovic@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2GB of RAM
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:16:30
1 On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 01:21 -0500, David Klempner wrote:
2 > * Vladimir G. Ivanovic <vgivanovic@×××××××.net> [2006-06-20 16:51]:
3 > > I figured it out. The VMSPLIT options are *not* available on 64-bit
4 > > systems. (Phew. It's neither encroaching madness nor Alzheimer's.)
5 >
6 > Yeah... I suppose I wasn't paying close enough attention to what you
7 > were saying. :-)
8
9 Well, it took way longer than I would have wished for me to catch on.
10 You'd think the total absence of any VMSPLIT options in *any* of my
11 saved config files would have been a sufficient hint, but no....
14 > The VMSPLIT options are about how the kernel uses the 32 bit address
15 > space (specifically, what fraction of the address space of each process
16 > it reserves for its own use). A large portion of what a 64 bit system
17 > gets you is more than 32 bits worth of address space, so I'm fairly sure
18 > the entire issue is moot. :-)
19
20 You're most certainly right.
21