From: David Klempner <klempner@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2GB of RAM
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 06:33:03
1 * Vladimir G. Ivanovic <vgivanovic@×××××××.net> [2006-06-20 16:51]:
2 > I figured it out. The VMSPLIT options are *not* available on 64-bit
3 > systems. (Phew. It's neither encroaching madness nor Alzheimer's.)
4
5 Yeah... I suppose I wasn't paying close enough attention to what you
6 were saying. :-)
7
8 The VMSPLIT options are about how the kernel uses the 32 bit address
9 space (specifically, what fraction of the address space of each process
10 it reserves for its own use). A large portion of what a 64 bit system
11 gets you is more than 32 bits worth of address space, so I'm fairly sure
12 the entire issue is moot. :-)
13
14 (On the other hand, I have still yet to look really closely at the gory
15 details of how AMD64 works, and how linux uses it. I had a decent idea,
16 way back when the only implementations available were simulators, but
17 that was a while ago and I've forgotten a lot of it. As such, I might be
18 wrong.)
21 David Klempner