From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Safe way to test a new kernel?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:15:43
1 Grant writes:
2
3 > > Have a look at 'info grub', 'Booting' -> 'Making your system robust',
4 > > especially section 4.3.2 'Booting fallback systems'. That's what I
5 > > used in order to test new kernels remotely.
6 > >
7 > >        Wonko
8 >
9 > I like that better. Where do you execute 'grub-set-default 0'?
10
11 I had it in /etc/init.d/local.start back when I used these features.
12 Nowadays with openrc I would put this line
13 in /etc/local.d/grub-default.start. I had some safety checks included,
14 like testing if networking and sshd was running, so this box would be
15 accessible from remote. But this is some years ago now, currently I do
16 not administrate such remote servers and so I have not used this
17 mechanism for a while.
20 > BTW, is there a way to tell which grub entry I'm booted into, or am I
21 > best off examining the contents of /proc/config.gz?
22
23 The first line in /boot/grub/default has the number of the default entry.
24 grub-set-default modifies this file, as does the GRUB savedefault command.
25
26 Wonko