From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Safe way to test a new kernel?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 14:37:18
1 >> I get "Unrecognized command" from savedefault in grub:
2 >>
3 >> grub> savedefault --default=1 --once
4 >> Error 27: Unrecognized command
5 >
6 > Strange. Maybe this is something inofficial, and not every Gurb
7 > understands this? The documentation does not mention the --default option
8 > I think.
9 >
10 >> I re-emerged grub with /boot mounted and ran grub-install but I get
11 >> the same error.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  I'm on
12 >> grub-0.97-r10.
13 >
14 > Have a look at 'info grub', 'Booting' -> 'Making your system robust',
15 > especially section 4.3.2 'Booting fallback systems'. That's what I used in
16 > order to test new kernels remotely.
17 >
18 >        Wonko
19
20 I like that better. Where do you execute 'grub-set-default 0'?
21
22 I did notice this:
23
24 "In some newer versions of GNU/Linux, there is no
25 /sbin/grub-set-default (eg. Debian 3.1, Fedora Core 4,5). While some
26 distributions like Gentoo still has /sbin/grub-set-default"
27
28 http://sidvind.com/wiki/GRUB:_Boot_another_OS_once#Method_1_.28preferred.29
29
30 BTW, is there a way to tell which grub entry I'm booted into, or am I
31 best off examining the contents of /proc/config.gz?
32
33 - Grant