From: Alexander Puchmayr <alexander.puchmayr@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel freezes
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 13:49:29
1 Am Samstag 06 Juni 2009 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
2 >
3 > > > If the problem persists, start testing your hardware.
4 > >
5 > > How? I don't have access to special test equipment to test hardware.
6 > > This is the only AM2(+) board and the only AM2 CPU I have. The RAM is
7 > > also unique to this machine.
8 > >
9 > > > I would suspect the PSU.
10 > >
11 > > The Powersupply? What makes you think that the PSU can be the cause of
12 > > a system crash?
13 >
14 > experience. A PSU gone bad can cause all kind of bad behaviour. Crash
15 > under load. Crash when temps rise. Sudden reboots, harddisk damage. Mobo
16 > dead. CPU dead. Seriously I have seen so many problems caused by PSUs
17 > over the years that the PSU is always the first thing I check....
18 >
19 > Ram is the easiest: get systemrescuecd, boot from cd, run memtest for a
20 > couple of hours. If it finds errors, bingo, you found the probable
21 > culprit. In that case raising the memory voltage a tine bit (0.05 or
22 > 0.1Volt) could be all that is needed (I have such a memory stick myself.
23 > 1.80V and I have crashes. 1.85V and everything works).
24 > But memory errors also can be caused by bad PSU. So.. ask a friend for a
25 > psu or your local hardware dealer if they can lend you one - if your
26 > problems go away with a different PSU you found the real source.
27 > Also, cleaning all parts (even the psu's inside) might solve the problem,
28 > maybe it is still heat related.
29 >
30 > While your box is open, check all capacitor's for bulges, especially on
31 > the top, discolorment and stuff around their base. Also remove all cards
32 > and addons and put them back, make sure that they really sit correctly.
33 >
34 > You are running the latest bios, of course?
35 >
36 Luckily the PSU of my desktop was new enough to fit to that board -- I've
37 tried, and after roughly half an hour it crashed again. Same symptoms.
38 Nothing changed :-(
39
40 Memtest86+ has already been running for one night lately -- no errors found.
41
42 The caps are all OK and the board is clean, as I bought it just one week
43 ago.
44
45 Maybe its best to talk with my hardware dealer about it, as there is
46 warranty on it.
47
48 Thanks for your help
49 Alex