From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel freezes
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 11:02:14
1 On Samstag 06 Juni 2009, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
2 > Am Samstag 06 Juni 2009 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
3 > > *sigh* Ok, just for starters - all AMD cpus of the Athlon64 architecture
4 > > have a builtin agpgart. This agpgart functions also as an iommu. This is
5 > > a great hack to have a hardware iommu . Intel does not have this, so they
6 > > rely on software. The solution came up while AMD devs and linux kernel
7 > > devs worked together.
8 > > Please read the following links:
9 > >
10 > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iommu
11 > >
12 > > http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=107759901509280&w=2
13 > >
14 > > http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=107764033904042&w=2
15 > >
16 > > the iommu is needed so 32bit pci devices can live with their pci adress
17 > > space behind 4gb and other sweet things.
18 > >
19 > > Sadly the iommu needs a minimum on memory for itself - and uses the agp-
20 > > aperture. This is fine, but mobo vendors suck and make it too small/or
21 > > not available. In that case the kernel is forced to use real memory for
22 > > the iommu.
23 > >
24 > > In short, that message has nothing to do with your problem.
25 >
26 > Thanks for these informative links
27 >
28 > > The NR_CPU message is confusing - I strongly suspect that your kernel
29 > > config is really fucked uo.
30 >
31 > ?? As I have a DualCore-Cpu, I changed NR_CPU to 2, something wrong with
32 > that? What else can be fucked up? I Enabled Multi-core scheduler
33 > (hyperthread is disabled)
36 no, it should be fine. Hmhm. Multi-core-scheduler should not make any
37 difference at all.
40 > > Please enable:
41 > >
42 > > [] Check for low memory corruption
43 > > [] Reserve low 64K of RAM on AMI/Phoenix BIOSen
44 > >
45 > > in the kernel config. Also clean it up and remove stuff like
46 > > 'hyperthreading scheduler'.
47 >
48 > Already done.
49
50 ok
53 > > If the problem persists, start testing your hardware.
54 >
55 > How? I don't have access to special test equipment to test hardware. This
56 > is the only AM2(+) board and the only AM2 CPU I have. The RAM is also
57 > unique to this machine.
58 >
59 > > I would suspect the PSU.
60 >
61 > The Powersupply? What makes you think that the PSU can be the cause of a
62 > system crash?
63
64 experience. A PSU gone bad can cause all kind of bad behaviour. Crash under
65 load. Crash when temps rise. Sudden reboots, harddisk damage. Mobo dead. CPU
66 dead. Seriously I have seen so many problems caused by PSUs over the years
67 that the PSU is always the first thing I check....
68
69 Ram is the easiest: get systemrescuecd, boot from cd, run memtest for a couple
70 of hours. If it finds errors, bingo, you found the probable culprit. In that
71 case raising the memory voltage a tine bit (0.05 or 0.1Volt) could be all that
72 is needed (I have such a memory stick myself. 1.80V and I have crashes. 1.85V
73 and everything works).
74 But memory errors also can be caused by bad PSU. So.. ask a friend for a psu
75 or your local hardware dealer if they can lend you one - if your problems go
76 away with a different PSU you found the real source.
77 Also, cleaning all parts (even the psu's inside) might solve the problem,
78 maybe it is still heat related.
79
80 While your box is open, check all capacitor's for bulges, especially on the
81 top, discolorment and stuff around their base. Also remove all cards and
82 addons and put them back, make sure that they really sit correctly.
83
84 You are running the latest bios, of course?