From: Alexander Puchmayr <alexander.puchmayr@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel freezes
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 10:42:42
1 Am Samstag 06 Juni 2009 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
2
3 > *sigh* Ok, just for starters - all AMD cpus of the Athlon64 architecture
4 > have a builtin agpgart. This agpgart functions also as an iommu. This is
5 > a great hack to have a hardware iommu . Intel does not have this, so they
6 > rely on software. The solution came up while AMD devs and linux kernel
7 > devs worked together.
8 > Please read the following links:
9 >
10 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iommu
11 >
12 > http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=107759901509280&w=2
13 >
14 > http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=107764033904042&w=2
15 >
16 > the iommu is needed so 32bit pci devices can live with their pci adress
17 > space behind 4gb and other sweet things.
18 >
19 > Sadly the iommu needs a minimum on memory for itself - and uses the agp-
20 > aperture. This is fine, but mobo vendors suck and make it too small/or
21 > not available. In that case the kernel is forced to use real memory for
22 > the iommu.
23 >
24 > In short, that message has nothing to do with your problem.
25 >
26 Thanks for these informative links
27
28 > The NR_CPU message is confusing - I strongly suspect that your kernel
29 > config is really fucked uo.
30
31 ?? As I have a DualCore-Cpu, I changed NR_CPU to 2, something wrong with
32 that? What else can be fucked up? I Enabled Multi-core scheduler
33 (hyperthread is disabled)
36 > Please enable:
37 >
38 > [] Check for low memory corruption
39 > [] Reserve low 64K of RAM on AMI/Phoenix BIOSen
40 >
41 > in the kernel config. Also clean it up and remove stuff like
42 > 'hyperthreading scheduler'.
43 >
44 Already done.
45
46 > If the problem persists, start testing your hardware.
47 >
48 How? I don't have access to special test equipment to test hardware. This is
49 the only AM2(+) board and the only AM2 CPU I have. The RAM is also unique
50 to this machine.
51
52 > I would suspect the PSU.
53
54 The Powersupply? What makes you think that the PSU can be the cause of a
55 system crash?
56
57 Greetings
58 Alex