From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] my 5.15.93 kernel keeps rebooting
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 22:04:32
1 On Tue, 14 Feb 2023 16:25:55 -0500,
2 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 > On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 2:54 PM John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > On Tue, 14 Feb 2023 14:08:34 -0500,
7 > > Rich Freeman wrote:
8 > >>
9 > > > will be displayed on the console briefly. You can also enable a
10 > > > network console, which will send the dmesg output continuously over
11 > > > UDP to another device.
12 > >
13 > > OK, how would I set up logging to a network and what would I have to
14 > > do on another computer -- which in my case is Windows?
15 >
16 > The docs are at:
17 > https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt
18 >
19 > (you can also google for linux netconsole for some wiki articles on it)
20 >
21 > I have on my command line: netconsole=@/,6666@10.1.0.52
22 >
23 > That IP is the host I want the log traffic to go to. (Read the docs
24 > if you have a more complicated networking setup - I assume that will
25 > just run ARP and send stuff out without using a gateway/etc.)
26 >
27 > Then on a receiving linux host I'd run (I think - it has been a while):
28 > nc -u -l -p 6666
29 >
30 > Now, you mentioned Windows. I've never used it, but nmap has a
31 > program available in a windows version called ncat that might do the
32 > job: https://nmap.org/ncat/
33 >
34 > You just want to make sure you have it listening on port 6666 for UDP.
35 > Make sure you use UDP or you won't receive anything.
36 >
37 > If it is working you should get a ton of log spam when your host boots
38 > - anything that shows up in dmesg will show up in the network console.
39 > It is sent in realtime.
40 Sounds great -- I notice you ommitted the ip address, my network
41 device is brought up by a systemd unit file, will I need to specify
42 the device, then? I was thinking of netconsole=@192.168.0.1/eno1 --
43 would this be correct, assuming the ip address is correct?
46 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
47 How do
48 you spend it?
49
50 John Covici wb2una