From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] my 5.15.93 kernel keeps rebooting
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 21:26:13
1 On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 2:54 PM John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 14 Feb 2023 14:08:34 -0500,
4 > Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>
6 > > will be displayed on the console briefly. You can also enable a
7 > > network console, which will send the dmesg output continuously over
8 > > UDP to another device.
9 >
10 > OK, how would I set up logging to a network and what would I have to
11 > do on another computer -- which in my case is Windows?
12
13 The docs are at:
14 https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt
15
16 (you can also google for linux netconsole for some wiki articles on it)
17
18 I have on my command line: netconsole=@/,6666@10.1.0.52
19
20 That IP is the host I want the log traffic to go to. (Read the docs
21 if you have a more complicated networking setup - I assume that will
22 just run ARP and send stuff out without using a gateway/etc.)
23
24 Then on a receiving linux host I'd run (I think - it has been a while):
25 nc -u -l -p 6666
26
27 Now, you mentioned Windows. I've never used it, but nmap has a
28 program available in a windows version called ncat that might do the
29 job: https://nmap.org/ncat/
30
31 You just want to make sure you have it listening on port 6666 for UDP.
32 Make sure you use UDP or you won't receive anything.
33
34 If it is working you should get a ton of log spam when your host boots
35 - anything that shows up in dmesg will show up in the network console.
36 It is sent in realtime.
39 Rich