From: "Spackman
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Movie editing softeware
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 16:20:16
1 On 2021/12/21 at 07:17pm, Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 21/12/2021 18:49, Spackman, Chris wrote:
3
4 > > 2b. press the "export video" button at the bottom of the window. Here,
5 > > for me, the defaults work fine.
6 >
7 > The problem is 2b. For me, it's an extremely simple case of "I gave you
8 > a dot ts file, I want a dot ts file back".
9 >
10 > The act of importing the ts file into the project seems to throw that
11 > information away. I know a .ts is some sort of a container, with streams
12 > and whatnot, but I don't have a clue what's in it. Why should I?
13 >
14 > All I know is I want to end up with EXACTLY the same sort of file I
15 > started with, and this seems exactly what most video editors don't have
16 > a clue how to do!
17 >
18 > (Like a word .docx - I don't give a monkeys what's inside it, I don't
19 > need to, word takes care of all that. Why can't any half-decent video
20 > editor do the same?)
21 >
22 > And yes, I have tried. You're hearing the screams of frustration from
23 > countless failed attempts.
24
25 Video files are certainly horribly complex. I promise I am no expert at
26 all, but I have been fooling with them for decades, so I suppose I
27 probably know a lot more than I realize, and more than most people who
28 haven't been at it that long.
29
30 I think the problem is that the files have both a container and a
31 format. Matroska, if i understand correctly, is a container. It could
32 hold video, audio, and even subtitles, in any of several formats.
33
34 This is unlike a DOCX file, for example, which is always a zip file with
35 xml (and other) files in expected formats. The closest to the situation
36 you are seeing is if MS Office opened an ODT file (from LibreOffice) and
37 always saved it - without asking - as a DOCX file.
38
39 Even more out there would be if LO would accept ODT files that were
40 tarred and gzipped instead of just plain zipped and that also could have
41 html, markdown, or org formats instead of xml inside the tar.gz
42 file. (that would an interesting world, i think)
43
44 I hadn't realized it until you brought it up, but it is odd that so many
45 video programs don't have a "save in the same format as the original"
46 option. I'm sure ffmpeg can probably do it easily, but then we're back
47 to the original issues with trying to get the cutting lined up neatly.
48
49 Good luck.
52 Chris Spackman (he / him) chris@××××××××××.com
53
54 ESL Coordinator The Graham Family of Schools
55 ESL Educator Columbus State Community College
56 Japan Exchange and Teaching Program Wajima, Ishikawa 1995-1998
57 Linux user since 1998 Linux User #137532