From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: hdparm and baselayout
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 21:17:54
1 On 8/18/06, Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Richard Fish schrieb:
3 > > Are you starting hdparm in the boot or default runlevel (rc-update
4 > > -s)? If at boot, it may be that some modules haven't been loaded yet,
5 > > so you don't actually have hdc/hdd.
6 >
7 > it starts in default runlevel, but i think with the new baselayout it
8 > starts ealier then before.
9
10 Hmm, possible. I just noticed that it has a "before bootmisc"
11 dependancy, so it is going to start very early on. In fact, bootmisc
12 is considered a "CRITICAL_SERVICE" by /sbin/rc, so that means hdparm
13 is going to start at the same time as filesystems are mounted and
14 modules are loaded. I don't know if previous versions of hdparm had
15 this same thing or not.
16
17 I think you can either file a bug about the dependancy on bootmisc
18 that causes hdparm to start too early, hack the init script yourself
19 to remove it, or reconfigure your kernel to include the drivers for
20 your CD-ROMs statically, not as modules.
21
22 -Richard
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list