From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] planning a new machine : comments welcome
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 20:38:25
1 Julien Roy wrote:
2 > This is exactly what happened to me. I unknowingly bought SMR drives
3 > (I didn't know the difference, but the drives were "RAID" rated,
4 > whatever that means. SMR drives obviously aren't "RAID" anything.)
5 > Well, when was the time to expand my RAID, it wouldn't work.
6 > Needless to say, I will not be buying any product from WD anymore.
7 >
8 > Julien
12 From my understanding, it wasn't just WD.  I don't think any of them
13 alerted people as to what they were getting.  I recently bought a WD and
14 will again because I could have easily bought a Seagate or any other
15 brand that was SMR without knowing it.  WD just so happened to be the
16 first one I found with a good price is all.
17
18 Still, I don't like that any of them pulled this stealth release tho.
19 For most, it most likely didn't matter but for some, it was a disaster.
20 Possibly a costly disaster at that.
21
22 We learned tho.
23