From: Julien Roy <julien@××××.ca>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] planning a new machine : comments welcome
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 20:20:59
1 This is exactly what happened to me. I unknowingly bought SMR drives (I didn't know the difference, but the drives were "RAID" rated, whatever that means. SMR drives obviously aren't "RAID" anything.) Well, when was the time to expand my RAID, it wouldn't work.
2 Needless to say, I will not be buying any product from WD anymore.
3
4 Julien
9 > This is what I like about this list.  Sharing info.  It's good to know
10 > that the software is catching up.  It would have been nice if WD,
11 > Seagate etc had let the software people in on this info before they
12 > started releasing the products.  It appears they didn't to me.
13 > Releasing it in stealth mode didn't help them any in my opinion.  They
14 > angered a lot of people it would seem.  If they had alerted the people
15 > who develop the software for file systems and RAID, it could have saved
16 > a LOT of grief and possibly lose of data.
17 >
18 > This should also help the OP in the event he buys a SMR to save a little
19 > where it will work.  It should help others who unknowingly bought a SMR
20 > drive as well.  I need to look into enabling those options in my kernel
21 > and with the file system tools.  It may help with my external drive as
22 > well.  Maybe reduce the bumpy thing a bit.  lol
23 >
24 > Thanks for the link.
25 >
26 > Dale