From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mounts NFS in XFCE4
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 06:57:21
1 On 01/20/14 07:07, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> Put the mount in /etc/fstab with the noauto and users or user options.
4 >
5 > Neil,
6 >
7 > Thank you. I did this; however, as soon as I mount, the directory
8 > becomes owned by root and I cannot write to it. Please consider:
9 >
10 > jane cstankevitz # grep nfs /etc/fstab
11 > adam:/mnt/volume_a/sdn_collections
12 > /home/cstankevitz/Desktop/sdn_collections nfs rw,noauto,user 0 0
13 >
14 > Desktop $ ls -l /home/cstankevitz/Desktop/
15 > drwxr-xr-x 2 cstankevitz cstankevitz 4096 Jan 19 20:43 sdn_collections
16 >
17 > Desktop $ mount ./sdn_collections/
18 > Desktop $ ls -l /home/cstankevitz/Desktop/
19 > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2 Jan 19 20:37 sdn_collections
20 >
21 > Please note how the ownership changes from cstankevitz to root after I
22 > mount. What am I doing wrong?
25 That's how it is supposed to work. nfs is a Unix filesystem, it obeys
26 Unix user and permissions (unlike say VFAT or smbfs where it has to
27 fudge these things). NFS will mount the filesystem using whatever is set
28 on the server. You cannot override the permissions the server has set
29 from the client
30
31 You probably want to tweak your squash settings. Check /etc/exports on
32 adam or run "shopmount -e adam" on your local machine
36 Alan McKinnon
37 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com