From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE slow / console-kit-daemon POLKIT_IS_AUTHORITY failed
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 21:31:27
1 On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 23:45:00 +0000, Mick wrote:
2
3 > This thread confused me. I have this in my system and I have not
4 > changed the permissions from when it was installed:
5 >
6 > ls -la /usr/libexec/dbus-daemon-launch-helper
7 > -rws--x--- 1 root messagebus 322984 Jun 22
8 > 2013 /usr/libexec/dbus-daemon- launch-helper
9 >
10 > Is the suid bit dangerous and if so what is the alternative? Should
11 > there be a bug filed on it?
12
13 I think what Samuli was trying to say was that the suid bit is dangerous
14 if you give global execute permissions to the file, because then anyone
15 can run it as root. The default of rwx--x--- if safe because only root or
16 a member of the messagebus group can execute it.
17
18 My problem was that the messagebus user was not a member of the
19 messagebus group thanks to a mismatch of IDs in /etc/{passwd,group} - I
20 don't know whether this is also the cause of the error messages on
21 Helmut's system.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 WinErr 042: Virus error - A virus has been activated in a dos-box. The
28 virus, however, requires Windows. All tasks will automatically be closed
29 and the virus will be activated again.