From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 23:42:54
1 On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 6:27:14 PM Michel Catudal wrote:
2 > Le 2015-08-26 13:37, Fernando Rodriguez a écrit :
3 >
4 > > This may not be complete and some of these may be possible to some extent
5 with
6 > > legacy grub:
7 > >
8 > > 1. Grub Legacy is 32-bit only, so you need 32-bit libraries or use grub-
9 > > static. Grub2 is portable, even beyond Intel architectures.
10 > > 2. Grub2 has been rewritten to be modular. Instead of Grub's stages model
11 it
12 > > uses a core image and a bunch of modules.
13 > > 3. EFI support without chainloading or other hacks.
14 > > 4. Better filesystem support. Including loopback devices.
15 > > 5. Graphics and theming support.
16 > > 6. Grub2's config file (the one it tells you not to edit manually) is
17 scriptable
18 > > using a shell-like script language.
19 > > 7. Password support for each entry.
23 > I've had serious problems in the past getting to to install on a partition
24 and gave up. Is that bug fixed? It insists on installing on the MBR which is
25 unacceptable.
26
27 Yes and no, at least it can be a pain. I remember running into that and got it
28 to work after several hours, unfortunately I forgot how. It may have been that
29 it writes to both the mbr and the partition so you can restore the old mbr and
30 still boot the partition. It also treats removable media and HDs different.
31 It's hard to remember because I tried so many things.
32
33 I think dd'ing the mbr to an image file and chainloading it worked but I did
34 something else in the end. Next time I go down that road I'll make sure to
35 document it.
38 Fernando Rodriguez